This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NI on Non-executive director's fees

Rebecca Cave

Postby Rebecca Cave » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:34 am

Does the fee paid to a pure non-exe director ( no ohter work forcompany performed) always have to suffer class 1 NI as the non-exe is an office holder and is defined as an 'employed earner'? Or if the fee is self-employed income for tax purposes is it also subject to class 2 and 4 for NI purposes?

I have read the relevant bits of Peter Arrowsmith's book: Tolley's NIC annual 2004-05, and the bits I can find in the IR manuals concerning non-executives but I am still confused. Do companies in practice pay non-executive directors fees gross, with no tax or NI deducted and run the risk of the IR demanding NI for past years, where no income tax is due? Please can someone clarify.

Simon Sweetman

Postby Simon Sweetman » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:08 am

ESM3268 says this - "Office-holders are caught by the National Insurance regulations. This is because these regulations apply where an individual would have been an "employed earner" of the third party if there had been a direct contract. The term "employed earner" includes a person who is gainfully employed in the United Kingdom in an office with emoluments/earnings chargeable to tax under Schedule E/as employment income. This will include a non-executive director whose remuneration would be taxed under Schedule E/employment income if the intermediary did not exist."

As the Schedule D treatment of fees is concessional I suspect that the law will apply to NIC.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”