This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

impact of sabattical on tax/ NI

loubear
impact of sabattical on tax/ NI

Postby loubear » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi I am considering taking a 3 month sabbatical from my Local Authority employer to undergo IVF treatment. My employer has a policy that will give me the unpaid leave but I am wondering what happens to my tax? NI? Pension contributions etc that year? I earn 36950k and so this will roughly work out as 9k I will be "losing" in pay but obviously I wouldn't take that home anyway. would I still be liable for tax in this period and based on my earnings would I even be due a refund from tax already paid?

I'm probably not making any sense but I want to work out the "cost" of taking a sabbatical.

also will this have any implications on future maternity leave if It was to be successful?

thanks

AmanSood

Re: impact of sabattical on tax/ NI

Postby AmanSood » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 pm

on the basis you are taking a couple of months unpaid leave, then you will likely be due a tax refund. This will either be corrected in year via the payroll (if you are on a cumulative tax code). Alternatively if you are on a non-cumulative tax code (should say something like M1 on your payslip), you would need to contact HMRC to obtain a tax refund or file a tax return after the end of the tax year. The unpaid leave should not have an impact on your entitlement to statutory maternity leave/pay. Hope all goes well with the IVF.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”