This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NIC if not claiming benefits while out of work

Spiro
NIC if not claiming benefits while out of work

Postby Spiro » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi,

Everywhere I read NI is shown as calculated in years. If I don't work the end of this financial year, will I be penalised and lose the entire year's stamp? Taking my gross pay for 11 months work and dividing instead by 12 months, I will have earned enough on average to be well in excess of the monthly threshold so it seems right to me that I have already earned enough (and been paying contributions) to qualify for the full year stamp?

Is it the case with NI that you need to be, if working through PAYE, employed for the entire financial year, or is it the case that earnings for the financial year need to total at least £5,824 (£112 weekly threshold x 52), and if over that I don't need to worry about it because that covers me. Thanks.

jason13

Re: NIC if not claiming benefits while out of work

Postby jason13 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:44 am

Yes, you're correct. Since you worked 11 months and earned more than the Lower Earnings Limit, the tax year will be a qualfying pension year.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”