This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Am I paying the correct amount of tax?

King Mustard
Am I paying the correct amount of tax?

Postby King Mustard » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:28 am

I am 30 and work for a company through an employment agency.

I get paid weekly.

Since April 2016, I have, out of my wages, paid:
  • 8.6% PAYE
  • 7.0% NI
  • 1.0% student loan
  • 0.1% pension
My tax code from April-September 2016 was 1061L and from September to now (January 2017) is 1100L.

Do things sound about right?

Just worried that, sometime after April 2017, I'll get a tax underpayment bill or something :P

King Mustard

Re: Am I paying the correct amount of tax?

Postby King Mustard » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:34 am

I am unable to edit my post, so I'll add some extra information to this reply.

I was a university student from 2005-2008.

At work, I am paid an average of £370 per week (before any deductions).

AmanSood

Postby AmanSood » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:28 am

sounds about right as you are getting the full tax free personal allowance and assuming this is your only job. In September, you would have noticed your net pay increase slightly as a result of your personal allowance changing but based on the facts don't see why you would have underpaid tax.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

King Mustard

Postby King Mustard » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:33 am

sounds about right as you are getting the full tax free personal allowance and assuming this is your only job. In September, you would have noticed your net pay increase slightly as a result of your personal allowance changing but based on the facts don't see why you would have underpaid tax.
Excellent :)

I was mainly querying it because according to gov.uk's website article entitled, "Income Tax rates and Personal Allowances", £11,001 to £43,000 (Band 'Basic rate') is 20% and since I earn between those sums, that I maybe should have been paying 20% instead of around 15.6%.

AmanSood

Postby AmanSood » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:40 am

Think the % you are quoting are the effective tax rates after factoring in the personal allowance so you should be ok.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”