This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

issues with public sector not recognising PSCs

Feedback
issues with public sector not recognising PSCs

Postby Feedback » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:37 pm

what are your thoughts on the public sector taking the approach that workers employed via PSCs are going to have tax and NI deducted at source, rather than allowing the company to make the deductions necessary? I'm looking for those who have had experience of this of this and what grounds, if any, can be taken to stop deductions at source.

I suppose the initial test is whether a de facto employer/employee relationship exists irrespective of whether it exists de jure.

bd6759

Re: issues with public sector not recognising PSCs

Postby bd6759 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:14 pm

I suppose the initial test is whether a de facto employer/employee relationship exists irrespective of whether it exists de jure.
That is the test.
It did seem quite odd that BBC presenters were not, apparently, employed by the BBC.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”