This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Help Understanding Tax Going from PAYE to Self Employed

IndependenceBathing
Help Understanding Tax Going from PAYE to Self Employed

Postby IndependenceBathing » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi,

During the current Tax year, i have gone from Being Employed PAYE to self employed.

Come April when i send a tax return, i want to be well prepared, and know exactly what details i will be submitting. I currently use Quickbooks for self employed to manage my invoicing, and expenses. Its fantastic for showing allowable expenses etc, and helps fill in the SA 103F form.

But what i really want to know is how i can work out my tax liability, and if/what refund i may or may not be due. I have my P45 from my employer, and i have all the details from the SA 103F form up until todays date, and i can probably work out what i will be invoicing until the 5th of April.

Could someone point me in the right direction.

Kind Regards.

Paul.

Lambs

Re: Help Understanding Tax Going from PAYE to Self Employed

Postby Lambs » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:23 pm

Hi I,

Go to

http://taxationweb.azurewebsites.net/Pe ... debug=true

and use our draft tax calculator. It is currently set up for 2016/17, and if you click on the Earnings section to put in your PAYE income from employment / tax deducted, and your net profit from self-employment, it should be able to do the rest. If you have any investment income or pension contributions, use the sections as appropriate. It will not get the Class 2 NIC right, because you've started in self-employment part-way through the year. But the difference will be pretty small, I should think.

Kind regards,

LAmbs

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”