This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SIP query

charlie156
SIP query

Postby charlie156 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:47 pm

I have shares in a SIP that if I sell now will incur a tax charge. I also have an unused personal tax allowance for this year. If I sell the shares will I get the tax charge on the SIP shares refunded due to my unused tax allowance? Many thanks

AnthonyR

Re: SIP query

Postby AnthonyR » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:57 pm

I assume you mean an approved Share Incentive Plan issued by your employer? In which case, are you talking about an income gain as a result of taking the shares out of the plan too early or CGT on the sale of the shares after the qualifying period?

It's quite a complex area, but in simple terms, if you have an income tax charge which is within your personal allowance and they have deducted tax at source then your will be able to reclaim the overpaid tax on your tax return. Bear in mind there may also be a CGT charge on the disposal of the shares.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

charlie156

Re: SIP query

Postby charlie156 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 pm

AnthonyR, thanks for your reply. Yes, it's a Share Incentive Plan that I've held for over 3 years and am now entitled to sell but will be taxed on as it falls short of the 5 year tax free qualifying period.
I have 2 weeks left of this tax year, so I have to act soon. So your reading of my situation is I will get the tax charge refunded due to my unused personal tax allowance?
Many thanks

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”