This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Register as self employed no fixed abode

Chef
Register as self employed no fixed abode

Postby Chef » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi, i have been living in Thailand for the past 18 months and have just returned to the UK to take up some self employed work, i am a freelance chef and will be working untill the end of October. The nature of my work means that i will be in one place for 3 weeks and then another place for one week and so on. I live in hotels and staff accommodation and my address changes according to my contract. (i do have an address in Thailand)
I want to register as self employed but am unsure of what to put in the address section, i need a UTR number, will they email it to me or send by mail? Any advise gratefully received. Many thanks.

AmanSood

Re: Register as self employed no fixed abode

Postby AmanSood » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:02 am

Hi Chef, your UTR will be sent to you by post and it would normally take 10 working days to arrive (if you give a UK address). I would suggest if possible using the address of a tax agent/friend with a permanent address as otherwise the UTR letter may get misplaced. Alternatively, you can register for HMRC's online services and obtain a government gateway account. Once your UTR number is issued this can be found on the online account and therefore you won't need the letter itself. Link to register for an online account is below.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/governme ... in=unknown
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Chef

Postby Chef » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:02 am

Many thanks.

bjel

Postby bjel » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi Chef, your UTR will be sent to you by post and it would normally take 10 working days to arrive (if you give a UK address). I would suggest if possible using the address of a tax agent/friend with a permanent address as otherwise the UTR letter may get misplaced. Alternatively, you can register for HMRC's online services and obtain a government gateway account. Once your UTR number is issued this can be found on the online account and therefore you won't need the letter itself. Link to register for an online account is below.

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/government-gateway-registration-frontend/choose-your-account?continue=https%3A%2F%2Fonline.hmrc.gov.uk%2Fhome&origin=unknown
Hi Aman,

This has been very helpful advice for me too, thanks! One follow up question, is it actually possible to register as self-employed with no fixed abode? I'm a UK citizen living for various months of the year in Sweden, America and across various locations in the UK.

If you could point me in the right direction (links/articles/guidance) that would be a fantastic help! I'm a football player and online writer.

Thanks!

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”