This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Previous employer overpaid me, does this affect my tax allowance?

Snooze
Previous employer overpaid me, does this affect my tax allowance?

Postby Snooze » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:05 pm

Hello,

I have searched around for an answer to my question but no joy - hope someone here can help.

I finished working for my last employer in March this year and have not had a job since. However, I recently received a payment from them in error. I have contacted them and will of course repay the money, but I am unsure if this will have an impact my tax.

I have read that overpayments are usually resolved through deductions from future wages - this doesn't apply here so I'm pretty confused!

Will HMRC think I have earned more than I have, meaning I lose out on the personal tax allowance? Is there anything else to watch out for?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Ben

robbob

Re: Previous employer overpaid me, does this affect my tax allowance?

Postby robbob » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:19 pm

simply get them (ex employer) to confirm that this amount has not been treated as taxable income - or if it has been originally - get them to confirm that the incorrect treatment has been reversed back out so the situation now reflects the position that you had no taxable income - cant see any reason why they would do this when they are in possession of their dosh back - any similar wording should do - just keep your proof that money was handed back to them for hmrc - probably best done by bank transfer.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”