This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Someone please help me. My ex employer has messed up my p45

Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:53 pm

Someone please help me. My ex employer has messed up my p45

Postby Marellasorella3 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:03 pm

Hello. I really need some help and whist trailing the Internet for answers I came across this site.
I worked for a company for 7 months and then the person who owned the company decided he didn't want to run it anymore and closed it down whilst I was away on holiday. I came back and the company was shut and I had lost my job.
For the next thing few weeks I struggled trying to contact my previous employer for information regarding the pay is was owed. I found a new job but at my new job my tax was incredibly high - so I contacted HMRC to be told that my p45 had not been sent to them and that I couldn't get the tax I had overpaid until I was given my p45. After weeks of hounding this jerks liquidators I finally got my p45 today..... the company closed in may... and low an behold my name is missing a letter making it incorrect and one of the numbers on my national insurance number is incorrect.
I don't know what to do and this has been going on for months now and I just want my tax money back.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 4342
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:06 pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Someone please help me. My ex employer has messed up my p45

Postby pawncob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Write to HMRC at the tax office dealing with your PAYE and explain the position to them. They are the only ones who can amend the records.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”