This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

GAYE and carrying back charitable donations.

someone
GAYE and carrying back charitable donations.

Postby someone » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:43 pm

If I join my work GAYE scheme (which has a charity match feature) can I still carry back the donations made before I do my tax return to the previous tax year?

I'd assume not as I don't see how it could work but maybe the donations can be added back to the current years taxable income and removed from the previous year's.

Thanks to our wonderful tax system, I overpaid pension contributions last year and I will again this year. However, every two pounds I donate "last year" gets me one pound of annual allowance back but donations made this year don't. So I'm putting off doing my tax return until the last possible moment to carry back as much as possible of my regular charitable donations and I expect to make an extra donation in January to make everything balance exactly.

AmanSood

Re: GAYE and carrying back charitable donations.

Postby AmanSood » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:04 am

yes you can carry back any gift aid donations you make in the current tax year 2017/18 up until the point of filing your 2016/17 tax return and claim the tax relief in your 2016/17 tax return.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

someone

Re: GAYE and carrying back charitable donations.

Postby someone » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Does GAYE (payroll giving) count as gift aid though?

In a previous job where they did GAYE, I didn't put anything on my tax return as the deduction came out of pre-tax income.

That's why I suspect they can't be carried back.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”