This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Paying NI from abroad - class 2 or 3?

Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:00 pm

Paying NI from abroad - class 2 or 3?

Postby solange » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi Guys

I live abroad and I want to top up my ni contributions for my pension and phoned the DWP. They told me I needed to fill in an overseas ni contributions application form - all good so far.Whilst in the uk I had in excess of 10 rental properties. This was my only job. I managed the day to day running of these and was actively seeking to buy more, therefore from the guidelines I have read I believe I am eligible for class 2 ni, until the profit threshold is reached and then I am required to pay class 4.

My dilemma is what happens now I live abroad. A letting agent manages the properties so I assume I am not considered self employed in this respect (even though I am still looking to buy more properties in the UK). I also am not employed here, however I consider myself a part time artist and sell my paintings online.

Would this be considered as self employed and therefore class 2?

Many thanks for any help

Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:03 pm

Re: Paying NI from abroad - class 2 or 3?

Postby JOHNRE » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi, have you read this?

My son recently applied to pay voluntary Class 2 NI because he is now working abroad. HMRC declined his application by stating there were two factors that they took into account:

1. Whether the applicant was employed or self-employed directly before going abroad.

2. The state of their current NI record - my son was declined because they considered his record to be "sparse" (we are currently in the process of appealing this adjudication)

As a Landlord I am assuming that you would have been classified as Self-Employed before you went abroad?

Best wishes.


Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”