This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Refund

Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 pm

Tax Refund

Postby Barricadebill » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:20 pm

I was made redundant in September 2016 , and I owed HMRC from a previous year,as my only income was a previous company pension, which had been taxed at 20% HMRC used my tax code against my pension so I wasn’t paying tax I also received a tax refund, subsequently I have recieved a P800 notice for an underpayment of tax for £1760 for the tax year 2016 - 2017, which is the amount of refund plus non paid tax.

Do I have any claim against HMRC to write off the debt as it wasn’t made clear that my tax bill would increase, and I would fall into debt, I actually queried this at the time of issue and was told by HMRC that I wouldn’t have to pay anything back.

They are saying I had double my tax allowance apportioned between two employers, this was also the same reason I owed tax from a previous year.

They are now asking for £3600. HELP.

Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Tax Refund

Postby AmanSood » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:02 pm

unfortunately you have no choice but to pay the tax as you received too much tax free allowance. The onus is on the individual to contact HMRC to let them know if their tax code is incorrect.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”