This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

incorrect change of tax code + wrong amount of total payment on p45

Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:28 pm

incorrect change of tax code + wrong amount of total payment on p45

Postby nora369 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:38 pm

Hi, I would appreciate the help figuring this out. I changed my job at the end of november, i stopped working at one place then i started at the next one a few days later. They still owed me one month of payment from the previous place which i received in december. Then I got a letter , changing 1150L to 820L, saying i have an underpayment. I called HMRC , they said since two companies used my tax code in the same month , I owe them tax. But I didnt even work at them at the same time, why would I get such a reduce in tax free income? I think this isnt correct, I will pay a lot more tax from now on til april because of this. What could I do ?
Also I left my second job in January, I just got my P45 and the total payment amount is wrong, should I contact the company or HMRC?
Thank you

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”