This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

New HMRC expenses exemption

Jetsetter4805
New HMRC expenses exemption

Postby Jetsetter4805 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Hi All,

I'm a bit unclear if I need to apply for this new exemption if the only expenses to be paid are reimbursed travel costs of which there are supporting receipts. There are no per diem payments or other allowances being paid. Could someone please confirm?

Many thanks

SteLacca

Re: New HMRC expenses exemption

Postby SteLacca » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:49 pm

If the expenses are wholly, exclusively and necessarily incurred, such that the employee would get full relief, then there is no reporting requirement. You don't need to apply for an exemption in such cases.

If the expense would not be wholly, exclusively and necessarily incurred, then there is a reporting requirement. (S.336 ITEPA refers)

Jetsetter4805

Postby Jetsetter4805 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:54 pm

Thank you for the clarification. Based on your response it would appear that I don't need to apply for the exemption.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:57 pm

The statutory reference is s289A-E ITEPA 2003.

This is brief summary: https://www.gov.uk/employer-reporting-expenses-benefits/dispensations

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”