This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Working abroad

urbanmonkee
Working abroad

Postby urbanmonkee » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:13 am

Good morning,

I am shortly to be leaving the UK to take up a 12 month contract overseas (with the option to extend longer if desired / required).
I will be paying a Withholding tax on my gross earnings in the country where I will be working and the balance remitted to the UK.
Are there any tax implications in the UK?
Would I be able to reclaim the withholding tax?

Many thanks in advance

maths

Re: Working abroad

Postby maths » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:21 pm

The question is whether or not you will remain UK resident. If you do, any foreign tax paid should be creditable against any UK income tax charge on the earnings.

If you become non-resident no UK income tax charge will arise on the foreign earnings.

urbanmonkee

Re: Working abroad

Postby urbanmonkee » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:18 am

Thank you for your reply.

I am envisaging I will become non-resident as I will be outside of the UK for 12 months - although this will be a split year (straddling tax years).

So if I am non-resident and pay the overseas withholding tax does it matter if the net amount is paid directly to a UK bank account from my employer, or does the net amount have to stay outside of the UK.

I am also wondering about National Insurance contributions?

Many thanks in advance

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”