This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxes for stock options for international employees

Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Taxes for stock options for international employees

Postby johnarcher » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:00 pm


I am a US employee of a global firm. I was awarded a stock grant in 2014 which has just vested. It is denominated in US $ and had full taxes withheld in the US. I am now told I owe a portion of the taxes to the UK government for the portion of the time I was an expat in England and monies have been removed from my pay to cover this.

However, I have been given no official paperwork. I am told I will receive letter on company letterhead with the details of earnings and taxes withheld, but this doesnt sound sufficient. Surely there must be an official form (akin to a P60 for international employees) that they need to provide to me so I can reclaim the taxes back.

Can anyone please tell me what official paperwork they should give me ? I have searched online and cannot find anything at all on this.

Many thanks in advance

Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Re: Taxes for stock options for international employees

Postby AmanSood » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:40 pm

On the basis that the tax is being paid after your assignment in the UK ended and after issue of the Form P45 then the employer can't issue a P60 as you are not in employment with the UK entity. A letter detailing the tax which has been paid in the UK would suffice and should be used to claim any tax credit in the US.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”