This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet


Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:16 pm


Postby AgataN78 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:29 pm

I rent out 2 small houses and I receive income every year which is less then personal allowance. So I don’t pay income tax. I look after them by myself as much as I can.
I’m pregnant now, still have 9 weeks to go. My husband was always in carriage me to go self employed and pay my contribution towards pension.
Every year I do my self assessment online.
The question is can i backdate selfemployment and pay my insurance so I could receive maternity allowance?
I tried to ring HMRC but every time I ask they say different things and in a few occasions they lied to me. And if I can do it myself?
I’m sorry for my English, it’s not my first language, still learning.

Thank you for any advice

Posts: 3094
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Selfemployment

Postby bd6759 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:49 pm

Receiving rents from a property is not self employment, so you cannot pay class 2 NIC.

Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:16 pm

Re: Selfemployment

Postby AgataN78 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:29 pm

I also look after two other properties, which belongs to my husband, as well as my two rental properties. Am I entitled to go self-employed due to this extra work?

Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Re: Selfemployment

Postby AdamS93 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:45 pm

Property income is not treated as earnings. You need to fill out the property pages of your self-assessment. You are not self-employed.

If you claim child benefits, that will be a qualifying year for your state pension.

You should engage an accountant - a little knowledge when it comes to tax can be very dangerous.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”