This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK resident employed by Swiss firm

Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:01 pm

UK resident employed by Swiss firm

Postby wokkywokky » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi all. First post here as I require some help with filling in my first self assessment for HMRC.

I am employed by a Swiss firm. I live and work in the UK running the business from my home. My salary is paid gross directly to me therefore I need to work out my liability for the tax man. My question is what items can I claim tax relief for? I have tried looking on HMRC's site but its like looking for a needle in a haystack. I have read that there I can claim against items such as gas, electricity, council tax etc, can anyone point me to a guide of some sort or give me a run down on the items I can claim for and at what rates?

Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:28 pm

Re: UK resident employed by Swiss firm

Postby AdamS93 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:19 am

If you are employed by a Swiss firm, the Swiss firm has an obligation to register for PAYE in the UK and deduct income tax an national insurance at source - this is your main issue. You way want to get this sorted as if you ever needed to claim sick pay/maternity pay/paternity pay you will struggle.

With regards to expenses, for employees, it is not as generous as for self-employed individuals.

The flat rate expenses HMRC allow are £4 per week for working from home. You can work out the additional costs you incurr as a result of working from home (compare bills from before you started working from home to after or use a more scientific approach using hours and floor space if you have a home office but most don't bother as it will not generally save you much tax and just go for the flat rate of £4 per week.

Any other costs have to be incurred wholly, exclusively and necessarily to get a deduction for tax purposes.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”