This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax and Ni on licence fees moving abroad

cjs1
Tax and Ni on licence fees moving abroad

Postby cjs1 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:56 pm

Hello Everyone

my employer has an IP scheme that returns a percentage of license fees earned from IP licensing to employees. Payments are made through PAYE and hence contain deductions for Tax at 20% and employee Ni at the ususal rate. In this case, however, employeres NI is also deducted from the payments following the a standard method outlined in an employer policy document. The employee essentially pays employers Ni, employees NI and 20% Income tax dealing with any further Income tax by self assesment at the end of the tax year

Clearly if the livence is large (and it is!) these deductions can be eyewatering. I am pretty fed up with this and I am contemplating moving abroad for the duration of the license (6 years from this tax year start.

My question is if I live abroad full time and do not work (essentially i am planning to retire) but continue to take the license fee would this be advantageous and which country would be the best to move to.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”