This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

New Job - Paying too much tax Query?

sflk74
New Job - Paying too much tax Query?

Postby sflk74 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:49 pm

Hi All
I have just started s new job at NHS and received my first 2 wage slips and think I am paying too much tax, numbers aren't my strong point but it looks too much to me compared to what I was paying in tax on my last job. I am on Band 2 and it starts off on £15404 per annum.

I have detailed the info below

Tax Code 1185L CUMU
Pensionable Pay £1413.97
Taxable Pay £1342.97
PAYE £267.60
NI A £85.40
NHS Pension 5% £70.68
Car PARK VAT £1.83
Car Parking £9.17

My concern is the £267.60 figure as it seems a little excessive as my take home was £987.97. If anyone is able to shed light on this and assist in any way I would be most grateful.
Thanks

Simon

greybags1

Re: New Job - Paying too much tax Query?

Postby greybags1 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:16 pm

Your tax code looks ok so it could be that you paid too little tax in previous months and you are playing catch up? If in doubt speak with HMRC.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”