This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Government gateway service for employers

Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:25 pm

Government gateway service for employers

Postby foggy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:22 pm

I wonder if anyone can help with my dilemma.
I've been running the payroll for my son who is the only director of a limited very small company for many years because he didn't want to do it himself.
I've now realized that I signed on with government gateway as the employer by mistake with the employer reference for his company so that I could operate RTI and file end of year returns etc when in fact I'm not even employed by him( and should have been possibly been regarded as an agent instead?) He lives at a different address with a different phone number.

He now wants to take over doing the payroll and of course can't access any details for RTI as the records and paye reference for the company are all in my name and address and the second tier security goes to a different phone number anyway.
Does anyone know how I go about changing it all over to him as I can't see anything when I'm logged in that applies as the business hasn't been sold and it's the same employer reference so I suppose he can't just register again. If I phone hmrc and explain what@s happened would they be able to close my registration down and let him register in his name or is it not that simple?
Thanks in advance for any advice.


Posts: 431
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:35 pm

Re: Government gateway service for employers

Postby RMC » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:03 am

Not changing your contact and security details should teach the young man his place!

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”