This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Historical Class 2 contributions backlog

Lsp54
Historical Class 2 contributions backlog

Postby Lsp54 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi, I have had a few clients who have been self-employed for many years but when they started out they failed to set up a national insurance record. Since Class 2 NIs were included in self-assessment, the Hmrc software has thrown out my Class 2 amount due. I haven't had any problems sorting this out so far.
But my question is this: On setting up a national insurance record now, today, to be backdated several years, is it still true that Hmrc can only go back 6 years for NI assessments? I know there has been recent discussion about taking NICs out of the Limitations Act 1980. What is the current position?
Thank you.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”