This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

How to file for Tax refund when partial year in UK and moved permanently to India

manishu
How to file for Tax refund when partial year in UK and moved permanently to India

Postby manishu » Tue May 28, 2019 6:03 am

Hello,

After staying in UK for a little more than 2 years, I permanently moved back to India in mid-July 2018. I submitted P85 informing about my move and received an acknowledgement from HMRC Tax service wherein they advised to file Tax return at the year end.

After this move I have no income in UK, nor planning to return to UK. All my income and residency is in India and tax on income are as per India's taxation law. Please note -UK has double tax avoidance treaty with India (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/india-tax-treaties)

While preparing UK tax assessment, not sure how to response to few points:

1. Taxpayer residency status:
Only 2 options available - 1. UK 2. Scottish; no option for India - which option should I select?

2. How many employments:
While in UK I had only one… after moving to India, I worked in India based operations of the same company - what should I select?

3. Foreign Income:
What to select per above explanation that all income in India is taxed in India; also double tax avoidance treaty between UK & India

Thank you!!

Manish

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”