This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Detached duty relief - am I eligible? How much refund would I get?

ms23091982
Detached duty relief - am I eligible? How much refund would I get?

Postby ms23091982 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:19 am

Hi Everyone,
Thank you in advance for your time and inputs...

My query is about 'Detached duty relief'. I would like to know if I am eligible for this benefit? and How much refund would I get from this?
Below is my scenario:
[*] I am from India. I came to UK on 'Intra company transfer visa - ICT-Tier 2 visa'. My indian employer and UK employer is same company.
[*] I came to UK on 14th Oct. 2017. As I understand, to be eligible for this benefit, i need to go back to India and join same employer before 14th Oct 2019; so that total UK duration is less than 24 months. I can do that.
[*] Generally, if the project that we came for ends before our visa expiry then our employer gives us different client project. Thus, every project is temporary for certain duration. Our work location also changes as per project location because we work at client location.
[*] I am working for same client (my employer's client) since i came to UK because my project duration kept on extending. Originally I came for 2 months (till December 2017)
[*] As I understand, since I will be leaving to India in middle of FY 2019-20, I can fill P85 form and claim my PAYE from this FY. I will be doing that as part of leaving process
[*] Every year, I was checking eligibility questionnaire for 'Self tax assessment' on HMRC site, however it showed me i need not do it based on answers i selected. So, i haven't done 'Self assessment tax return' for entire duration in UK.
[*] My current work permit is valid till November end. If I have to get this benefit, i would have to let go my 1.5 months UK salary, since i would return to India before 14th Oct. 2019

I called up HMRC to ask my eligibility for 'Detached duty relief' however they asked me to post them my 'assignment letter OR employment letter', in other call they also suggested to file 'Self assessment tax return' to be able to claim this benefit.

Based on this scenario:
[*] Am I eligible for 'Detached duty relief'?
[*] How much return I can expect under this?
[*] Will i get returns from past year's PAYE - FY 2017-18 and FY 2018-19? I have paid more than £15,000 as PAYE during FY 2017-18 and FY 2018-19.

Please guide and let me know if you need any more details.
Thank you.

etf

Re: Detached duty relief - am I eligible? How much refund would I get?

Postby etf » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:40 pm

The following link may be a good starting point for you:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim77010

ms23091982

Postby ms23091982 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:31 pm

The following link may be a good starting point for you:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/employment-income-manual/eim77010
Thank you for your reply. I have already gone through this and i didn't get my answers. So i posted my scenario and questions here :)

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:40 am

Do you know what detached duty relief is?

ms23091982

Postby ms23091982 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:24 pm

Do you know what detached duty relief is?
I am learning :) Got to know about it last month only. Why do you ask?

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”