This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Emergency. Will I be fined? Help Please.

Deeks73
Emergency. Will I be fined? Help Please.

Postby Deeks73 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:59 pm

Hello.

I'd appreciate some advice please.
Im in my late forties, and I have a serious illness and no money.
[I get confused, memory loss, concentration problems, extreme exhaustion, pain etc. I spend most of my day in bed. Alone. Well, I have a small dog.]

I invoiced just under £15k, in 2013/14 tax year. But didnt include anything on my return. Honestly I cant even remember. Thats was the last year I made any money.

I was a self employed consultant. I would work from an office, like Regus, and from home, and invoice every six months or so. Did it for years.
I was quite well regarded.

In 2011 I was diagnosed with a serious illness. They found tumours in my lungs and lymph nodes. Non cancerous. Rare disease. [Doctors are useless with it]
I had an income protection insurance policy against loss of work due to illness, which should have paid me a weekly sum.
I could not claim straight away, as the insurance company put really unfair clauses in.

The clauses stated that you get paid half of your last years wage, as soon as you get declared as incapacitated.

Over the first few months I went to see a physician, initially the doctor told me that I would get better, as only 5-10% of people get worse and become chronic.

And, to cut a long story short, because I didnt make a claim within a few months, it was too late.

A doctor assess's you over a twelve months period.
Because I was invoicing my clients every six months or so, and the policy should pay you half of what you earned in the last twelve months of work, and I met the doctor once every eight weeks, or thereabouts, I had about three visits to decide whether I should claim.
They give you steroids at first, which make you feel a bit better. Its a false sense of security.
And you think you'll be ok. What can I say?
I wasnt well, and I didnt claim.
And since then I became less able to work, up until 2013, when I had to stop working, but by then it was far too late to claim, and I only made £15k in 2013.
Ive been living off savings ever since.
Bedridden.

Hoping I might get well enough to work in the future, I didnt claim any state benefits, and just carried on paying into my insurance policy. Its been six years, but it feels likea lot less, as youre getting about 20-30 drugs a day, on repeat which fairly zombifies you.
I stopped taking all the drugs in March 2018, and you realise they sedated you without telling you really.

Anyway, in 2013 shelved my business, and the dd just kept going out of my business bank account for the insurance policy.
Im ill everyday.
Im a decent fellow, and just got hit with a sledgehammer, and fell through the cracks.

Its obvious to me now I will never get better, so I contacted my insurance company recently and told them what happened, and they said that they would consider paying me half of my claim, for my last year working, 2013, which would mean I have about £7.5k PA to live on....if they approved it...

I've been living off savings, not knowing how to get out of this, and I am close to becoming homeless now. Im really scared tbh.

I rang the revenue yesterday, and they said that in 2013, I declared zero on my tax return online.
I now need to get back in touch with the IR, and tell them I made £15k.

Please, will I be fined? What can I expect to happen?

I just want to get a tax return now, showing I made £15k in 2013, and then try and get £7.5k out my insurance company.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I have cognitive deterioration and everything is really quite to very difficult.

Thankyou.

etf

Re: Emergency. Will I be fined? Help Please.

Postby etf » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:16 pm

I suggest you give the following organisation a call and see whether they are able to assist you.

If you're on a low income and struggling to understand or deal with a tax problem, the tax charities are here to help. If you're under 60 or self employed, call @TaxAidUK on 0345 120 3779,

Deeks73

Re: Emergency. Will I be fined? Help Please.

Postby Deeks73 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Thankyou very much

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”