This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Change of tax code implications

masteroats
Change of tax code implications

Postby masteroats » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:02 pm

Hi,

My tax code has significantly changed - with my tax free allowance for 19/20 being reduced by £3000.

If my current liability is £600 (3000 X 40% x 6/12 months) would the full £600 be taken from my next salary payment and the remaining monthly payments be reduced by £100. Or will the whole £1200 be more evenly split?

Thanks

robbob

Re: Change of tax code implications

Postby robbob » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:01 pm

It Depends

(1) If you have a cumulative code the change will potentially all be actioned in one month - however even then there is the backup rule that tax deducted can be no more than 50% of taxable pay - if that rule kicks in the remainder due is knocked back to the next month or until the 50% limit isn't exceeded.

(2) You may be issued with or already have a w1/m1 code in which case they take a proportion of the extra tax due each month so the catch up would be spread over the rest of the tax year.

masteroats

Re: Change of tax code implications

Postby masteroats » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:14 pm

Thanks very much for the response. It isnt anywhere near 50% and I dont have a special code so I will expect it to be taken in full from my next pay cycle.

Thanks

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”