This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income Tax

TJsquare
Income Tax

Postby TJsquare » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:54 pm

I registered a limited liability company in 2016. I never traded with it. Later I wind it down. However HMRC wrote to me saying I did not file my tax return and went ahead to charge me for late submission. I appealed it and won. But today I received another letter demanding balancing payment for 18/19 of £170.25. Should I be paying for a folded up limited liability company that I never traded with? Please advice on what to do urgently. Thanks.

robbob

Re: Income Tax

Postby robbob » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:08 am

It's not over clear whats up here.

if the balancing payment is addressed to you and is for personal tax then you need to see why the bill exists and follow the same appeals route if that is appropriate.
If you didn't meet the requirements to file a partnership return / personal tax return its always best to get the return cancelled rather than submit and appeal the penalties - tis may be too late now.

Note if you have a completed a personal tax return and have a tax bill that bill may be nothing to do with the llp - it sounds like this may be the case. If that is the case check you tax return calculation and income and tax deducted details and hopefully it will be apparent why tax deducted at source is less than the year end tax bill.

Generally if you have applied for company to be dissolved the companies house penalties will probably not need to be paid if they have been charged - ring companies house and confirm situation with them though and ask their initial advise - presumably along the lines the company has no funds to pay anything.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”