This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Closing down a limited company costs money?

treez
Closing down a limited company costs money?

Postby treez » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:08 pm

Hi,
I am being offered to do an electroniCs engineering contract in UK (i am a UK citizen) as a "limited company".
I am currently on PAYE at a different workplace.

Supposing the contract only lasts 6 months, and then i go back to a PAYE job....how do i then close down the limited company?...or do i even need to?

If the "limited company" contract does end after 6 months, and i then go beck to PAYE in another job, then do i still have to pay the "limited company " fees even though i will have gone back to PAYE?

robbob

Re: Closing down a limited company costs money?

Postby robbob » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:32 am

Main thing to do is do your own research and plan accordingly - a good accountant will help in that regard.

In theory you have more flexibility with a company as you’re able time your taxable income when it suits you subject to certain constraints.

Ref fees they are what they are- do you mean taxes or accountants ? They will both likely need paying and it could be more hassle than it’s worth if you have Short term one off income and can’t afford the fees you would need to pay an accountant to sort - at a minimum factor in a years fees - it’s pretty much the same accounts job needs doing whether it’s 3 , 6 or 12 months you trade for.

When company stops trading you can normally park for 12-18 months(or more) for minimal costs after you have done and filed cessation accounts - this can give you time to see what may happen in the future.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”