This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Expenses

NightOwl1985
Expenses

Postby NightOwl1985 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:21 am

Hi there,

I require an SIA licence. I have been issued a special condition-medical report. SIA is not paying for them. If I don't get the report- licence revoked. Can't go into work.

Can I claim these fees back? I am being told yes and no. I have seen this:

S336
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/deductions-for-work-expenses-480-chapter-7?fbclid=IwAR11ptD00pbWjap1UHkvyokLPVwc4qAiq6goaa0i88yGhZRPtLWy-FTGpMQ

D&C

Re: Expenses

Postby D&C » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:11 am

Can I claim these fees back?
Not from HMRC no. You may be eligible to claim tax relief on the fees incurred however that is completely different to claiming back the fee itself.

For example if the report cost you say £100 and HMRC accept you can claim tax relief for the cost incurred then this would normally save you anywhere between £0 and £41 in tax. For most people it would save £20 tax.

In very niche circumstances it could save £60+ tax

NightOwl1985

Re: Expenses

Postby NightOwl1985 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:02 pm

Thank you.

I am being told angle towards the Equality Act as these fees are only applied to 74 people out of 400,000 in the UK. Not a tax matter but just a point.

I am PAYE. How would I claim? Do I need to send my Drs invoice/letter saying how much it is?

Thanks

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”