This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Refund - Overpayment of Tax - help

Joined:Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:01 pm
Refund - Overpayment of Tax - help

Postby pme1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:29 pm

Hi All

I recently cashed out on my pension and was entitled to 25% tax free element which reduced my taxable pay. This was my only pay in the UK for tax year ending 5th April 2020 as I am currently in the US and have been for some time now.

The taxable element was taxed and I received the Net Pay. I was advised that I can apply for a refund of the overpayment of tax. I understand I will have to pay some tax over and above the personal allowances and the tax bands. I had free advice call with a pension representation from the HMRC / government pension advice service and fully understand the process.

Here is my problem - I tried to apply for the refund online but when I got to the page to add in a UK address I could not go any further as I am living abroad.

Hope do I apply for a refund if I can't do it on line ? I have the P45 and its the only income from UK for the year. Do I post in with a covering letter.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks & Stay Safe !!

Joined:Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:41 am
Location:Sandhurst, Berkshire

Re: Refund - Overpayment of Tax - help

Postby jerome.lane » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:50 pm

You should be able to post (take copies). HMRC's turnaround time is about 3 months? If you have trusted relatives/friends in the UK. Can't you use their address to shorten time frames?
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”