This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

URGENT HELP! 50% TAX.

EsJay1
URGENT HELP! 50% TAX.

Postby EsJay1 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi all,

I've been taxed 50% and both HMRC/payroll have no idea why so any thoughts/suggestions would be most welcome!

I started a new job in March. I received my first payslip in April - everything was normal and fine. This month, I checked and I had tax deductions of exactly 50% of my gross pay!
I've had a look at my payslip this month and the gross pay / taxable pay this year to date are both negative figures. So is the taxable pay / tax figures from my previous employment. This is not the case on last months payslip.

HMRC are blaming payroll. Payroll are blaming HMRC. My tax code is correct (1250L) and has been applied.

Any help whatsoever would be great.

bd6759

Re: URGENT HELP! 50% TAX.

Postby bd6759 » Sat May 30, 2020 5:14 pm

You really haven't given any useable information.

However, if your gross taxable pay to date is negative (which is very unlikely, if not impossible) then it will be payroll's fault. You cannot deduct tax from negative income.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”