This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Wrong start date on employment history

Laller
Wrong start date on employment history

Postby Laller » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:22 am

Hi everyone, I would like to ask for your advice..
I worked for a self employer in 2016. The date I started was 04/06/2016. My ex boss made a mistake and when notified hmrc about my employment he changed the 2 numbers to 06/04/2016.
Last year I realised the mistake I sent e-mails to him to explain what happened. He did not answered and I phoned him. He was very unfair and uninvolved. ("I don't care"). I phoned him 2x to speak about it. After that he did not answer the phone anymore. After that I also went to speak to him personally. He was very scornful and unfair and did not worry about his fault at all. Of course after these we had an argue. I told him it was his fault so he should have put it right. Finally I came home he sent me an e-mail as ok, he was going to make it right.
But he told me that I would need to pay so much tax back if thay make it right. Im not sure about this..is this right?

BUT..today 27/06/2020 I got a new employment history from HMRC and he has not done anything to fix this.
I am applying for my citizenship and I needed my Employment history as a proof. But it is not right now.
What shoud I do now?

Thank you if you read my story and give me your advice!

bd6759

Re: Wrong start date on employment history

Postby bd6759 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Both these dates fall in the same tax year, to do not affect your tax at all.

If you want it corrected, ask HMRC to change the date on your history, but it will not make any difference to anything.

Personally I wouldn't bother with such a trivial matter.

Laller

Postby Laller » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:06 pm

Both these dates fall in the same tax year, to do not affect your tax at all.

If you want it corrected, ask HMRC to change the date on your history, but it will not make any difference to anything.

Personally I wouldn't bother with such a trivial matter.
Thank you for your answer!
It might be trivial but I am applying for british citizenship and I don't want any problem with my application due such a silly thing he could put it right easily.

jerome.lane

Postby jerome.lane » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:13 am

From a tax perspective, it shouldn’t matter or affect your tax position as it’s all in same tax year. I’m assuming this could affect your citizenship application. If the employer is not being helpful, you should be able to evidence your actual start date with employment contract, payslips and your HMRC personal tax account should show when you started getting U.K. income. It should be relatively easy for you to prove your start date in June and not April.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”