This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NI when both employed and self employed.

someone
NI when both employed and self employed.

Postby someone » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:54 am

If the employment income is above the LEL then is there any need/benefit to paying class 2 NI for self employment?

A friend is confused because they're never previously been asked to pay class 2 NI. They have recently made a voluntary payment for an incomplete year from a few years ago where they were not working at all for part of the year but their 19/20 tax return is now asking them to pay 159 of class 2 NI for the 19/20 tax year.

My googling suggests that they should tick a box somewhere to defer class 2 contributions as they will already qualify for a full year of NI based on their employment earnings. Is this correct?

robbob

Re: NI when both employed and self employed.

Postby robbob » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:33 am

If the employment income is above the LEL then is there any need/benefit to paying class 2 NI for self employment?
Probably not -certainly not that i can think of presuming the employment is sufficient to qualify for stamp for the full tax year.

A friend is confused because they're never previously been asked to pay class 2 NI. They have recently made a voluntary payment for an incomplete year from a few years ago where they were not working at all for part of the year but their 19/20 tax return is now asking them to pay 159 of class 2 NI for the 19/20 tax year.
The £159.00 is mandatory payment if sole trader profits exceed £6,365 (19/20) (presuming maximum NI all sources limit not breached)

Below £6,365 profit sole trader profit class 2ni is voluntary.

Note class 2ni whether paid via force or choice should not be confused with Class 3 voluntary stamp payments and the individual needs to do full chapter and verse resarch wise to ensure they make the correct choice. Normally i would expect class2NI voluntary stamo would be cheaper than the class 3 if one if paying one of teh two and has the choice of paying either.

Final note hmrc computers have been known to wrongly remove class 2 and or class 4NI due from calculations made - so the individual should always ensure the class2NI indicator on hmrc online is correct so that hmrc are not incorrectly adjusting out class2 ni due - eg if they incorrectly have cessation of trade date or no start date.

someone

Postby someone » Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:50 am

Many thanks. That makes as much sense to me as NI ever has!

robbob

Postby robbob » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:38 am

Many thanks. That makes as much sense to me as NI ever has!
Ie none - presumably :)

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”