This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Unpaid tax in tax code

Tim C
Unpaid tax in tax code

Postby Tim C » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Dear experts - I would be most grateful if you could assist with the following query:

I owe £400 tax for 19/20 in the 21/22 tax code. (I always put it in as early as possible). Now that I am soon redundant, would the amount become payable by 31/1/23, or would interest and penalties accrue from 3/1/21? Or is it something in between?

robbob

Re: Unpaid tax in tax code

Postby robbob » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:22 pm

if when it comes to collecting the money via coding you have no empoloyment income generlaly hmrc will write to you and ask for the cash within 30 days - then you would need to plead poverty to secure extended paymet period.
This being the case its sort of almost recommendable to have the cash saved up due to the normal payment due date anyway if you don't want to create an issue when you least need it.

HMRC are currently though offering extended payment optuions for sa bods ref covid so there is a chance you may be able to eadsily get extended terms perhaps?

Tim C

Re: Unpaid tax in tax code

Postby Tim C » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:51 am

Thanks, appreciate your help.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”