This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Class 4 NI

Yiannis17
Class 4 NI

Postby Yiannis17 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:16 pm

Afternoon

I have a client who has 3 self employments of which only one was profitable. The other two made losses. In his tax computation the loss has been offset against the profitable business for income tax purpose but for class 4 NI this is being calculated on the profitable business only. The client is adamant he pays less NI and there should have been an offset. I have spoken to the software provider who tells me the software is correct and an adjustment cannot be made.

Am i missing something here?

greybags1

Re: Class 4 NI

Postby greybags1 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:55 pm

I think an entry in box 102 on the full s/e page for the profitable trade is required.

robbob

Postby robbob » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:04 pm

I would agree with greybags1 - box 102
Full chapter and verse (which is very painful) here

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/more-than-one-business-hs220-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs220-more-than-one-trade-profession-or-vocation-2020

Your software provider has told you porkies - they are probably jumping to conclusions here i suspect - when there is multiple buisnesses all with profits no box 102 entry is needed so i am guesisng they are confusing the issue you have with that situation - i suspect if you push them on their porkiness they will own up that they were telling you porkies :). To be fair to your software supplier the official notes to box 102 completely fail to mention the current year loss ofsett scenario which really is pretty unhelpful as i guess thats a much more common situation than the examples they do go to the trouble of mentioning.

Yiannis17

Postby Yiannis17 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:46 pm

Thank you both

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”