This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

“K” code and pension query

Afonso
“K” code and pension query

Postby Afonso » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:50 pm

I hope I’m posting in the correct forum.

I write on behalf of my great-uncle who is approaching 85.

My uncle’s taxable income is made up of the state pension and a small annuity. In the 2021-22 financial year his state pension will amount to £17,514 and the annuity is £6724. His income from interest on savings is now too small to be taxed.

The state pension exceeds my uncle’s personal allowance of £12570 so the difference of £4944 is added to the annuity to give a taxable figure of £11667. Tax is paid to HMRC by his pension firm at the basic rate of 20%.

My uncle’s tax code for 2020-21 was K478. His annuity was paid at £368.71 per month after tax. How much will his net monthly annuity payment be when K493 is applied?

The reason for my query is the pension company has made a hash of paying the annuity on time and taxed correctly for several months. My uncle’s next-of-kin has struggled with the issue by phone and letter but my uncle still doesn’t know when to expect a payment and how much. How the firm will deal with the new code is anyone’s guess. A formal complain to the pensions ombudsman looks probable.

Thank you for any help.

Afonso

D&C

Re: “K” code and pension query

Postby D&C » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:34 pm

Ignoring the interest, which is presumably small enough to all be taxed at 0%, then he has remaining taxable income of £24,238

After the Personal Allowance it leaves £11,668 to be taxed at 20%.

Total tax due = £2,333.60 (£194.46/month)

His PAYE pension is £6,724 (£560.33/month).

His net PAYE pension payment should therefore be £365.87 (£560.33 - £194.46).

Tax code K493 should produce the same outcome (to within a few pence at least).

Afonso

Re: “K” code and pension query

Postby Afonso » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:51 pm

Thank you for such a very rapid reply. :) I’ll pass it on to my uncle’s immediate family who deal with all his financial matters.

Regards,

Afonso

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”