This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Question on PAYE

catcatcait
Question on PAYE

Postby catcatcait » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:18 pm

Hi there, I have recently moved to the UK and had a recent employment under PAYE which has ended now. I would be grateful if someone can enlighten me the following questions:

My employer has paid me the final salary, in which the tax and NI contributions have been deducted. However, he didn't give me the pay slip and after chasing he only wrote me an email showing the salary and tax / NI calculations. He has not supplied me the pay slip and P45 form. After further chasing he told me that he cannot file the tax for me becoz I don't have an NI number (which I subsequently confirmed with HMRC that this is NOT true. An employer can still file tax for an employee without NI Number.

1. Now that the relevant tax and NI contribution have been deducted from my tax home salary, what if it ends up that my employer didn't pay the tax and NI to the HMRC? Will I be liable for the employer's non-payment of tax and NI to the HMRC?

2. What can I do to best protect my interest?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”