This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Same error each year "wits end"

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:01 pm
Re: Same error each year "wits end"

Postby robbob » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:05 pm

You simply need to write in and complian and advise the situation and confirm their error and request all incorrect items are removed. In the same letter tell them that if they confirm in writing the details of the company that is providing the incorrect information you will contact them - in the absence of the dodgy company you can do nothing.
Note confirm in theis letter all the companies you have worked for for the last 3 years - make it clear you have had no employments other than this and any indication otherwise on their systems is due to an error on tehir part or the part of the company sending them the info.

I really cannot believe this will not illicit the reponse you need if you do this in writing to hmrc.

Joined:Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:42 am

Re: Same error each year "wits end"

Postby Markinthepast » Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:33 pm

The last time I talked to someone on the phone at the HMRC, they told me that this other company would be sending in the wrong information electronically, the HRMC computer then automatically recalculates my tax code and sends it out. Computer to computer no human involved.
I asked if a flag could be put on the system to block this from happening. I was told this was not possible. The person at HMRC said all I could do was to create an online account and argue my case each year.

You would think the HMRC would be interested in finding someone who has not been paying tax on their car due this error or looking into the company that is giving false information (which I believe is an offence).

I will try writing a formal letter. Where would be the best place to send it?

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:01 pm

Re: Same error each year "wits end"

Postby robbob » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:28 pm

As per my prior post if you put summary fo what i have said in writing marked complaint (feel free to bitch about phone serrvice) - i am sure this will be looked at.

For some issues phon eoperatives can do nowt and palm you off at least with a letter they know they have to provide a reponse that can =be viewed and judged harshly by others - if theresponse isnt to your liking it may be right up the street of your local MP

Joined:Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:33 pm

Re: Same error each year "wits end"

Postby CazzieB » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:36 pm

Call to complain about the service HMRC has provided relating to Income Tax.

0300 200 3300

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”