This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Same error each year "wits end"

Markinthepast
Same error each year "wits end"

Postby Markinthepast » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:49 am

So I am getting to my wits end.
I am on PAYE, every year around this time the HMRC change my tax code and tell me that I owe them money.
The first year this occurred I phoned up HMRC and they said ‘it was an error and changed my code back’.
The second year this occurred I phoned up HMRC and they said ‘that a company that I do not work for had put on their company employee expenses return a company car against my NI number. They changed my code back and I was told that it would be sorted out.’
The third year this occurred I phoned up HMRC and they said ‘that I needed to send proof that I was not working two jobs. I had to send them proof of identity, copies of my end of year tax returns, copies of my expenses forms and I had to get a letter from a director at my employers stating that I only have one job.’ I sent them this information and they change my code back.
The forth year this occurred I phoned up HMRC and they said ‘that they couldn’t sort this out over the phone and I needed to create an online tax account’ I did this resubmitted all the above documentation and they change my code back.
We are now into the six consecutive year this has happened.

This is not a minor error as the extra expenses takes me over the tax threshold and I end up loosing the marriage allowance, each year the HMRC asks for about £4,500 in tax.
It has got to the point now where I am worried about going on holiday at this time of year just in case I miss the tax code change and I am just losing sleep waiting for that letter to come.

How can I stop this happening each year?
Surely the HMRC would want to sort this out as someone somewhere is driving a nice big flash car and not paying tax.
The HMRC won’t tell me the name of the company sending in the wrong information so I can’t contact them direct.

robbob

Re: Same error each year "wits end"

Postby robbob » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:35 am

Unfortunately you need to dig down to the detail of what is happening here - there could easily be multiple diffenet issues at play here.

Concentate on ye 5/4/2021 first get the detail right.
Always look at current tax years code to make sure they are in aligmnet with expectations.

If you dont look at tax codes plan ahead and work out what is going on it will all be a mess.

Example is one year you claim job expenses of 5k hmrc will probably amend you future tax code on presumption you are claiming expenses - if you have no later claims and dont check you tax cide that has expected claims in well unfortuantely you can end up with chomping tax bill.

If you don;t like digging down tio the detail of whats going on find someone who can - unfortunately hmrc may help but are unfortunately neither fully trustworthy or reliable

Unfortuantely general rants while letting off dteam dont solve the underlyig issue that tyou need to pay attention to and understand your tax codes and tax deducted IN year !

Markinthepast

Postby Markinthepast » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:04 pm

I only have about £350 of expenses each year due to the medical insurance the company makes us take out. I claim no other expenses.
So my tax code never changes apart from when this error occurs.
I would not know where to start to find out the information I need to prevent this happening. I need the company responsible to amend their database that is sending the wrong information to the HMRC, the only people who know who this company is the HMRC and they won't tell me.
I will send my information in online and I am sure it will be corrected, I just want it to stop happening each year.
This has made me pay attention to and understand my tax codes and tax deducted.

someone

Postby someone » Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:59 pm

You could try a subject access request for everything HMRC hold under your NI number. That might be enough to find the company with the bad data.

If that doesn't work then I think you need a "Norwich Pharmacal Order". I have no idea whether that is feasible in practice - but it will enable you to force HMRC to divulge the identity of the company who is using your NI number incorrectly.

(The original Norwich Pharmacal Order was used to force HMRC to divulge the identity of who was importing a chemical into the country. The import was known to be violating a patent but the patent holder couldn't identify where it was coming from and only HMRC held information on the importer. The order is a way of getting innocent third parties to divulge information that they otherwise can't due to data protection etc)

robbob

Postby robbob » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:31 pm

I would not know where to start to find out the information I need to prevent this happening. I need the company responsible to amend their database that is sending the wrong information to the HMRC, the only people who know who this company is the HMRC and they won't tell me.
If theis is paye income on your year end tax calculation hmrr will upon request write out and confirm your income levels and employers name in writing a phonecall to request this info should result in this information being sent out - presuming its paye income.

IUf hmrc ameend a tax return you can reject their amendment within 30 days then the ball is more formally in their court if they want to include something you think doenst eexist.

Markinthepast

Postby Markinthepast » Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:56 pm

I'm on PAYE. My employer lets me know they have got notification to change my tax code as soon as it comes in. I usually get a letter from HMRC a couple of weeks later.
The race is on for me to get the tax code sorted out before the next months payroll as my employer has to use the tax code they have been given. Which means I could be out of pocket next month and find it hard to pay bills etc.
It is only the end of year expenses that is wrong. The rest of it matches up with what I expect.
The only PAYE income on my year end tax calculation will be from the company I actually work for.
The other company only seams to get this one end of year tax form wrong.

robbob

Postby robbob » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:08 pm

who or what are this other company and exactly what is being declared in that regard?

Markinthepast

Postby Markinthepast » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:19 pm

who or what are this other company and exactly what is being declared in that regard?
A company who I do not know and never worked for is sending in their end of year employee expenses form and declaring a company car expense on my NI number. The HMRC then automatically recalculate my PAYE tax code and send it out to my employer.

someone

Postby someone » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:22 pm

As I read it, that is the problem. Some other company, somewhere, is submitting a P11D (or something similar - whatever it is that employers do) using the OPs NI number which is causing his tax code to be changed.

But this is absolutely nothing to do with the OP - and HMRC won't tell him who the company is.

There's probably someone, somewhere, who owes thousands of pounds of tax over the last 7 years because their tax code is wrong in the opposite direction.

Markinthepast

Postby Markinthepast » Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:40 pm

As I read it, that is the problem. Some other company, somewhere, is submitting a P11D (or something similar - whatever it is that employers do) using the OPs NI number which is causing his tax code to be changed.

But this is absolutely nothing to do with the OP - and HMRC won't tell him who the company is.

There's probably someone, somewhere, who owes thousands of pounds of tax over the last 7 years because their tax code is wrong in the opposite direction.
Yes this is the problem and it happens every year which is why I am at my wits end, just want it to be sorted out but I don't know how.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”