This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NI Double Whammy - Care Home Life time Allowance

Martintaxes
NI Double Whammy - Care Home Life time Allowance

Postby Martintaxes » Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:06 pm

Hello Guys,
Hot on the heels of the 1.25% NI hike and the 86k life time allowance for care home costs. I would be interested to see if you think I have read it right.
I noted that the wording on the BBC report was that this new situation would be for anyone needed care STARTING from 2023. My Mum went into a care home this year and we are selling her home at this time to keep her there. So as she is already in the system and paying full costs it sounds like she will not be eligible for the life time allowance? Maybe too early to know as the devil will be in the detail. My point is if that is the case, I shall be paying the NI hike without my Mum gaining from it. Her house is selling for 191k.

I'm considering whether it would be more sensible to rent her house out now and cover the £1000 or so per month shortfall now, before the sale finally goes through.
Many thanks for your time,
Martin.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”