This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Work overseas on 4 on 4 off rotation

Errorinexcellence
Work overseas on 4 on 4 off rotation

Postby Errorinexcellence » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:16 am

Hi
I’m totally stressing out .. I have been working in Saudi since 2013 on a 4 on 4 off rotation I pay self assessment (employed) tax return.. I do have a Saudi Iqama residency card but I dont live there permanently 6-8 months a year depending on covid restrictions

The reason I didn’t pay my voluntary contributions or set it up was a messy expensive divorce that left me with £300 a month to my name and that was while having to live at my parents for 4 years. I always intended to set it up but It went out my mind Unido now when I’m looking into what I have and what to get ready for old age

However I have not kept my NI contributions up to date and now have 10 year gap some of which i should be able to contest as I was a full time student.

Currently I have 16 full years and am 42 so have 25 years until retirement and I will be 67 as I have no options ( 5 kids )

Anyway .. I am unsure which class NI I can pay ? 2 or 3.. I a, currently not in a position to pay the gaps but wish to start paying and pay back each year as I can afford to

If for instance it’s class 3 insurance i a, unsure how to complete the form as it asks employment dates ..

Please can some one point me in the right path as I’m stressing out that I’ll have to pay 6 grand in missed years now

Please feel free to ask any info I may missed

etf

Re: Work overseas on 4 on 4 off rotation

Postby etf » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:04 am

If you meet the conditions for voluntary class 2 these are the better option as they are much cheaper and offer wider coverage.I met someone who paid the much more expensive class 3 who had suffered a heart attack overseas and found he did not qualify for benefits he would have received had he paid class 2. You couldn't make it up.

etf

Re: Work overseas on 4 on 4 off rotation

Postby etf » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:03 pm

I should perhaps have added you currently require 35 qualifying years to receive a full state pension. At the class 2 rate assuming you live long enough the rate of return is very impressive.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”