This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NIC contributions adhoc employee

Eg95
NIC contributions adhoc employee

Postby Eg95 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:09 pm

Hello,
I run my own business as an individual on the side while being fully employed in another business. In my own business, I have gone over the £1k trading allowance this tax year Apr21/22 so will file for a self assessment before Oct 5th 2022.

I am wondering, if I were to employ someone for a weekend to help with the business, what the tax implications would be?

Would it be that aslong as I'm not paying them over £737 per month, I wouldn't need to pay National insurance on their behalf as an employer?

I wouldn't pay this much anyhow as would keep the wages that of what a usual days work would be keeping at arms length. And keep a record of the hours worked on a spreadsheet for a record on file.

Would this be allowable as a business expense as wholly exclusively paid in relation to the business and once paid through the business bank account, code this in the accounts as a wages expense?

This would be an adhoc wages paid to a family member. I would be interested to know when/if I'd need to use any special payroll software or platform for this.

I currently do my accounts through xero and plan to use this along side my regular employment payslips PAYE to calculate how much tax I need to pay.

I believe the amount of NIC I will need to pay HMRC will calculate after I'll submitted my self-assessment tax return?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Edward

Eg95

Re: NIC contributions adhoc employee

Postby Eg95 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:21 am

bump

Appreciate any response or help with this. Thanking you in advance :)

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:24 am

How much will they be paid? NIC thresholds are based on pay period and I think the max is 31 days.

I think there is a deminimis for payroll, but it's very small.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:25 am

Class 1 NIC that is

Eg95

Postby Eg95 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:06 pm

Hi thanks for the reply.. I would say around £40 for the month (£10 a day or helping each weekend as a small thank you sort of thing)

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:38 pm

HMRC guidance is £120 per week. In line with the lower earning threshold for Class 1 NIC.

https://www.gov.uk/new-employee/check-status

Give the amounts I'd probably say you're ok.

Eg95

Postby Eg95 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:28 am

Thank you for the link. Good food for thought. Your advice is appreciated :)

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:31 am

Be aware of National Minimum Wage requirements.

Eg95

Postby Eg95 » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:44 pm

Thank you, yes I have seen it's rising to £9.50 next tax year. I have been reading the following: https://www.gov.uk/running-payroll/reporting-to-hmrc

I have seen Xero do do a payroll add-on to the software which looks good and easy to use. However an additional cost of £5 a month add on for up to 5 employees. Some food for thought for the next FY and tax year.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”