This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

I am on a Payroll for a company that I never worked for

Sole trader
I am on a Payroll for a company that I never worked for

Postby Sole trader » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:36 pm

Hello, I am an online sole trader, since Covid business isn't doing well, I have sent several applications to companies to apply for a job. I started working with different companies since the start of the pandemic. I received yesterday an email from HMRC saying my tax code has changed, I logged into my account and found out I was on a Payroll for a company that I never worked for, the statement shows I was getting paid every month since May 2021 therefore there are Tax and national insurance to be paid. Do I contact first the company or HMRC about this problem? were taxes and national insurance already been paid or they are due to be paid ? Your help is much appreciated. Thank you

darthblingbling

Re: I am on a Payroll for a company that I never worked for

Postby darthblingbling » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:41 pm

You mention you've done work for several companies. The name used on the payroll doesn't always match who you'd expect your employer so may be genuine. Usually the case if you work for a franchise as the actual employer name will be different to the franchise's name.

It's the employers obligation to withhold PAYE and NI.

Next question is a sense check, are you sure the emails are genuine? How are you logging into HMRC? Are you doing it via links from the email or are you going direct to the website?

I may be wrong, but I didn't think HMRC emailed about tax code changes.

Sole trader

Postby Sole trader » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:02 pm

Hello, Thank you for your reply, the email from HMRC was genuine it didn't ask for details, the email was just to let me know about my tax code change. I have logged properly into HMRC website, I only worked for 4 companies since the pandemic which I can see on HMRC website but the fifth company I never worked for this company, as I said I am on a Payroll since May 2021 up to last month. Every month it shows how much I got paid from this company and how much I am contributing in tax and NI. Do you think I should contact first the company or HMRC about this problem? were taxes and national insurance already been paid or they are due to be paid ? . Thank you

littledog

Postby littledog » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:59 pm

if its definitely not a company (check the paye reference number) you have worked for as often the company names do not match what a person thinks it should be, then just give hmrc a call. Some times its something as simple as a company had payrol done through an agency and they switched agencies... Sometimes its a genuine mistake and you might have someone elses pay submissions being submitted onto your records...
Call HMRC they can ask you questions and examing your rti data then they can take it take the next steps if need be.
At the very least your informing them before end of tax year and any reconcilliations get done with possible inccorect records.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”