This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do i pay class2 or 3 Voluntary NIC for gap years 06/07 & 07/08. IR has made conflicting decisions

DavidGreen
Do i pay class2 or 3 Voluntary NIC for gap years 06/07 & 07/08. IR has made conflicting decisions

Postby DavidGreen » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:42 pm

Do i pay class2 or 3 Voluntary NIC for gap years 06/07 & 07/08 ?
IR has made conflicting decisions.

Any clarity would be much appreciated on whether i have to pay Class2 or 3 voluntary NIC for gap years 06/07 & 07/08.
I am facing higher costs & the loss of 6 months back payments.

I am British and moved to EU 5 years ago.
In 2021 2-3 weeks before pension age, i applied for new state pension by telephone &
also used the Int`l Pension online form to request if i was eligible to pay voluntary NIC for any gap years & the cost.

A month after pension age i posted upon request from the Int`l Pension Centre,
proof I was self employed & paid NIC class2 for three (and more) years in the UK prior to moving to EU
& also self employment in EU since moving. I have always been eligible to pay Class2 NIC contributions for all years UK tax returns.

Seven weeks after applying & so by now after pension age, i received an email response to my online form request
from CRRT DWP dep`t work pensions Newcastle PC.REVIEWANDRECONTEAM
- stating i could fill 2 gap years 06/07 & 07/08 paying voluntary NIC class2. (For these years my tax returns indicate i was self employed).
Soon after I paid the Class2 NIC via bank.

Five months after applying I started receiving my pension - but without the 06/07 & 07/08 gap years.
I have made many follow up calls to the Int`l Pension Centre always to be told
they are waiting for Inland Revenue to add the 2 years to my pension entitlement before it can be paid.

Last week more than 6 months after paying the Class2 NIC, I had a telephone call from REVIEWANDRECONTEAM dep`t
indicating that for 06/07 07/08 the Inland Revenue consider i should have paid Class3 NIC, and i have the option of a refund.

However i was not given a clear explanation. The caller was unsure & thought it may be that the gap years are dated more than 6 years.
I asked if he could request clarity from IR.

So i am not sure where the error lies.
If the problem is that the gap years payment was made after reaching pension age - I paid as soon as i was given the information & option to pay.
Seven weeks seems an unreasonable length of time to respond to my online request. When originally sent it stated it may take up to 10 days to reply.

Thank you in anticipation
regards

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”