This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

tax on mileage payment

emmapatricia0
tax on mileage payment

Postby emmapatricia0 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:11 am

Good morning
I work for my local council and get paid 56p a mile as I was TUPE from NHS 3 years ago.

Then council pay my claim monthly together with my salary and tax is paid on it. When I worked for the NHS I was not taxed on mileage claims. I have read some things online and its all a bit confusing!
Thanks Emma

Jholm

Re: tax on mileage payment

Postby Jholm » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:12 am

Anything over 45p/mile will always be taxable

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:42 pm

Anything over 45p (or 25p per mile if annual business mileage goes over 10p) is taxable.

For NIC the rate is 45p for all business miles. The excess is subject to Class 1 NIC.

It's a quirky one as I believe the profit is put on your P11D for tax purposes, but the Class 1 NIC is collected via the payroll.

The rates have never been higher than 45p. So either your NHS trust handled it incorrectly or you may have missed it. You may not have been aware that it was put on a P11D and the tax may have been collected through your tax code.

RoryDickerson

Postby RoryDickerson » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:18 pm

The tax treatment of mileage payments can be confusing, but in general, if you receive mileage payments from your employer, they may be subject to tax and National Insurance contributions (NICs) depending on how they are structured.

If your mileage payments are made at a rate that is equal to or lower than the HMRC-approved rates (currently 45p per mile for the first 10,000 business miles in a tax year, and 25p per mile for any additional business miles), then they can be paid tax-free. However, if the rate exceeds the HMRC-approved rates, the excess will be subject to tax and NICs.

In your case, it sounds like the council is paying you 56p per mile, which is higher than the HMRC-approved rates. As a result, the excess over the HMRC-approved rates will be subject to tax and NICs.

It's worth noting that your previous employer, the NHS, may have had a different policy on mileage payments, which is why you may not have been taxed on your mileage claims while working there.

If you have any concerns or questions about how your mileage payments are being taxed, it's best to speak to your employer or contact HMRC directly for clarification.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”