This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

NI credit - do you have to work all year?

hansen

Postby hansen » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:18 pm

Last year, I worked for a few months and paid a lot in NI contributions. Since them, I have not worked at all.

How do the NI credits work? Do you have to pay a certain amount in a year or simply pay something every month.

Can I claim some back as my total salary was only just over the threshold? If so is this automatic or do I need to do something?

Thanks

Instinctive

Postby Instinctive » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:33 pm

Ni contribution record for pension and benefit purposes is based on complete tax years only and not by reference to weeks or months.

Normally, according to my understanding, a minimum credit is required based on contributions equal to that of having paid NI on 52 x weekly lower earnings level.

NI contributions are not refundable unless deducted in error.

Ramnik
ramnikrp@hotmail.com

hansen

Postby hansen » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:33 am

So are you saying that if I pay a total of over 79*52 = 4108 pounds in a year then I get a credit?

Also I heard that you can get some sort of credit if you are overseas for an extended period (over 6 months). Is this correct?

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”