This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Overpaid salary

Joined:Tue May 28, 2024 5:45 pm
Overpaid salary

Postby andyw396 » Wed May 29, 2024 6:32 am

When I stopped working for a company they continued paying me when I left, for a period of 12 months. I went abroad for a year with a new bank account ( no UK income), and the salary was paid in to an old account.

On return I had a letter saying that the net salary had been paid and that I owed the employer £31,600 ( gross was £39,500) an amount that had tax and NI deducted at source.

I looked at my old account and they were correct, so I transferred the £31600 back.

A friend has told me that I should be able to claim the tax back on the overpaymemt. Is that true ?

Thanks in advance

Joined:Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Overpaid salary

Postby bd6759 » Wed May 29, 2024 10:38 am

No. You haven’t paid tax.

Joined:Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:06 pm
Location:West Sussex

Re: Overpaid salary

Postby pawncob » Wed May 29, 2024 10:45 am

Are you saying that they continued paying you despite the fact that the employment had ceased?
If so, this might help;

Any tax deducted in error belongs to the employer and it's up to them to sort it out with HMRC.
You weren't actually paid anything, so you've no right to a refund, but I'd check any HMRC tax calculation carefully.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Joined:Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:22 pm

Re: Overpaid salary

Postby Jholm » Wed May 29, 2024 12:12 pm

How an employer could make such a monumental error is beyond me. Must have money to throw away paying non-staff!

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”