This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK resident/employed in Sweden/Liable for tax

MariaB

Postby MariaB » Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:11 am

Hello,

I'm about to become a UK resident and I would appreciate any help in understanding what rules apply as I will be performing my work from the UK but I will be employed by a swedish company as well as being paid from Sweden.

1) What taxes will I as a UK resident automatically be liable for? Income, NIC...

2) Do I need to pay both the employee and the employer portion of NIC considering my employer resides abroad?

I appreciate any feedback!
Thanks!
/Maria

JSK TAXATION

Postby JSK TAXATION » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:11 am

Maria

I have several clients in your position, and the answer depends on whether your non-UK employer has a base in the UK.

If not, then you will be required to set up a PAYE scheme in the UK which will be operated as if you are your own employer.

You will need to deduct tax and primary class 1 NIC from your salary payments but there is not a requirement to deduct Secondary (employer) NIC's.
The deductions should be paid over to the Inland Revenue on a quarterly basis.

If you need any help, let me know.

John King ATT
johnking@tax2002.fsnet.co.uk
01622 754321
07801 476152
John S King
Chartered Tax Adviser
e: help@taxation-advice.com
w: http://www.taxation-advice.com
01732 897850

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”