This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

part time employment

dozzy36

Postby dozzy36 » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:31 am

my girlfriend has started working in a local shop and works 12 hours a week, when she asked for her P60 to claim back tax overpaid for 2004/5 (from prvious employment), she was told that due to the type of buisness they ran that they did not pay tax and NI for their employee,s and did not need to supply one. is this right and if so how should she go about making sure her NI contributions are up to date. it sounds odd to me!

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:39 am

I think your girlfriend needs to clarify the position with her current employer. Was she employed by them at 5 April 2005? If not, who was her employer at 5 April 2005?

I assume that she earns enough to pay Income Tax and NI?

Did she give her current employer a P45 from her previous employer?

dozzy36

Postby dozzy36 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:42 am

she was employed at 5th april 2005 she was told they didn't need her P45 when she took it in, she will not have earned above her personal allowance but has paid some tax in her previous job and want's to claim the overpayment back, how can she do this if her current employer doesn't give her a P60 declaring what they paid her up to 5th april.(even if they havn't stopped any tacx & NI)

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:50 am

It might be easier for her to contact her Tax Office - its name should be on her P45.

It looks like her current employer wants to avoid getting involved with PAYE - which could be fine, if none of the employees have other jobs and earn below the NI threshold.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”